Seeking a professional Ranch and Maintenance Assistant with both maintenance and landscaping experience to join our team on a private San Anselmo, CA estate. We are devoted to providing our staff with a safe, beautiful place to live and enjoy themselves. We will rely on you to keep the home and grounds in peak condition. A well-organized and detail-oriented person who values teamwork will be great in this position.
This is a very hands-on position with some management of additional help and vendors. Typical hands-on functions listed below.
- Proactive planning and scheduling of work duties.
- Follow a to-do list and procedures as well as be proactive to edit and recreate lists for property care and improvement.
- Maintain and work with the Gardner in our edible garden areas as needed focusing on pest control (rats, gophers, snakes, etc.)
- Responsible for pest control and removal including placing bait stations for rodents such as rats, moles, gophers and voles.
- Oversight of livestock handling (e.g., chickens, cats); maintain chicken coup.
- Work with the caretaker to implement weed and brush control on trails and paths.
- Ability to troubleshoot pipes and/or potential irrigation leaks/problems.
- Keeping outdoor light fixtures, and equipment clean at all times.
- Responsible for making sure trails are clear of litter and pet extrament.
- Power washing sidewalks, gutters, walls, patios, and decks, in accordance with the maintenance schedule.
- Routine ranch vehicle (mules, trucks) maintenance (e.g., check/monitor fluid levels)
- Maintain organized storage areas in barn and storage yard including tools and small equipment; check the working condition.
- Assisting Maintenance Manager in supervising outside contractors and vendors.
- Be comfortable performing minor fixes and maintenance of plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and carpentry (building of beds and fences).
- Picking up supplies or materials from local hardware and/or landscaping stores.
- Picking up daily mail and packages for the Principals.
- Respond to the Estate and Maintenance Manager with any concerns in a timely and professional manner (if needed).
- Oversight of First Aid kits in all structures (annual) to include checking expiration dates.
- Must be Fluent in English with excellent communication skills. Ability to communicate well with the Estate Manager, Maintenance Manager, Caretaker and other staff members.
- 5+ years of related professional experience working in a high-level private home or in a similar role or capacity.
- Excellent direct manager-level verbal references are required from both current and previous employers.
- Valid Driver's License is required and legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must be professional, proactive, reliable, and respect the boundaries, privacy, and confidentiality of the family.
- Ability to work in all weather and temperature conditions.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and provide manual labor including but not limited to lifting, pushing, and pulling.
- Knowledge in HVAC, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, irrigation or any similar trade is a plus.
- Knowledge of methods of landscaping and proper use of organic fertilizers, and pesticides, you will work in tandem with landscape vendor/team.
- Basic knowledge of ornamental horticulture and skill in the performance of a wide variety of gardening tasks, including composting.
- Knowledge of workplace safety and appropriate safety protocols.
- Must know how to operate basic power tools.
- Consistently demonstrate excellent technical knowledge of the job.
- Ability to identify common plants, be able to identify insect or disease conditions on plants.
- Desire and ability to provide high-quality service.
- Strong attention to detail and organized, with great time-management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to safely operate equipment such as chainsaws, pressure washers, and blowers.
- Able to work in both large and confined spaces.
- Physical stamina and mobility including the ability to reach, kneel, squat, crouch, bend and crawl.
- Able to respond to requests in a timely fashion and follow through until completed.
- Can show flexibility and go the extra mile when needed to get the job done.
- T candidate will be familiar with local vendors; projected work is M - F, 7:00a - 4:00p with the flexibility to work on weekends for events.
- Learn from mistakes, have a learners' mindset
Able to admit mistakes upfront and seek the truth. Learns and grows from mistakes. Makes thoughtful choices and provides solutions to avoid future mistakes.
- Prioritize Thoughtfully
Not all projects are equally urgent, understand we come together as a team to complete work as needed.
Shows a deep commitment to the role and people.
- Willing to accept mistakes in others, as well as with ourselves.
We all make boo-boo’s, we learn and grow from them. We will not live in a culture of blame.
$38-$42/hour DOE. Health Insurance. Paid Vacation, Holidays, Sick days and 401k.