NYC-based family seeks live-in executive housekeeper or couple for large, newly acquired Red Hook/Rhinebeck country estate comprised of 17,000 square foot main house and two 4 bedroom guest cottages. Staff apartment on the grounds can be provided.
Executive housekeeper will work in collaboration with a property manager (who currently lives off-site) who will manage everything outside the house (landscaping, maintenance of buildings, repairs, construction). Must be willing to be collaborative with property manager to share responsibilities as these are both new positions.
Family will be in residence some weekends and holidays (they spend time in other homes) thus flexibility around working weekends and holidays is a must. When working weekends and holidays, days off prior or after should be arranged.
Candidate understands the 24/7 nature of the job when it comes to house emergencies (flood, electrical repairs, etc) and when the family is in residence.
Candidate will prepare house for visits with family and guests, with local team they will hire and manage, making sure all rooms are prepared and ready, coordinate with owner on chefs/catering, as needed.
- Regular cleaning, upkeep, and maintenance of living spaces and furnishings.
- High level of communication (text/email/phone) with principal on house maintenance/management and scheduling caterers/staff for visits and events.
- Will hire/manage local team, working side by side and setting clear expectations.
- Will work with family’s interest at heart.
- Prepare home before family arrives (checks all bathrooms, bedrooms, etc) to make sure all is in good working order
- Coordinate and meet with plumbers/electricians/alarm/decorators/any other vendors on site as necessary
- Daily walk through of main house and guest cottages to find leaks, damage, etc.
- Receive and unpack deliveries/mail/packages.
- Oversee large wine cellar (HVAC, deliveries, inventory)
- Laundry and dry-cleaning management.
- Bed linen management (cleaning, pressing, storage).
- Making purchases online and in person, including groceries and errands.
- Maintaining inventories of household items.
- Pitching in and helping co-workers with their job duties while always being a team player.
- Other duties and projects as requested (including possibly going to other properties)
- Ability to work with the highest degree of confidentiality (NDA required)
- Minimum five years of housekeeping experience, preferably for larger, high-end homes.
- Experience supervising and hiring others.
- Proficiency in all aspects of personal computing, including iCal, Google Docs and Sheets.
- Must be resourceful and able to research and procure items on the internet.
- Experience with data devices and communicating with smartphones.
- Comfortable communicating with vendors (electricians, plumbers, HVAC, alarm system, etc) and reporting back issues via email and phone calls.
- Fluent in English verbally and written.
- Must be able to work prolonged periods standing, walking, bending, and lifting.
- Successful completion of a thorough background investigation and reference check.