Job Title: Assistant Estate Manager
Reports To: Estate Manager and the Michaels
Status: Exempt (Salaried) – Lives on the Winery Estate
Date Prepared: February 2021
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Estate Manager, manages and directs a team of landscape laborers, a Maintenance Assistant and a Housekeeper to achieve and maintain an “immaculate appearance” of the Peter Michael Winery Estate. Establishes and directs building, equipment, and landscape maintenance/repair programs for the winery and all Estate areas. Construction project coordinator, and may assist Maintenance Assistant with handyman projects. Assists the Hospitality Manager with the coordination of certain major winery events, including logistics, layout and physical setup and breakdown. Ensures the “well-being” of the Michael family and guests while in town. This includes all other winery guests throughout the year staying on property for any after-hours emergencies. Responsible for after-hours alarm and emergency response on site. (These responsibilities will be shared with the Estate Manager on a designated schedule.) Rotate off time and vacation time with the Estate Manager to maintain a 24-hour presence on property.
Essential Job Functions:
a)Building Maintenance – In coordination with the Maintenance Assistant:
- Evaluates condition of buildings, recommends upgrades or repairs to facilities and provides quotes for projects
- Schedules and monitors maintenance/repairs from outside vendors (security, heating/air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, water quality, and pest control)
b) Vehicle Maintenance/Repair
- Monitors maintenance/repairs to winery and estate vehicles, golf carts, emergency generators, and the Michael’s personal recreational vehicles and watercraft scheduled or performed by the Maintenance Assistant
- Carries out weekly agenda set by the Estate Manager for gardeners
- Assists with the oversight of all estate gardens, plantings and irrigation done by the gardeners
- Purchases supplies as needed
- Oversees the maintenance and repair of the irrigation systems, roadways, rock walls, trees, etc.
- Contact person for Security Company
- Provides “24 Hour Presence”
- After hours alarm response, event security
- Keeps alarm systems operational - coordinates alarm code changes when necessary
- Maintains entry gates
- Provides ongoing safety training to staff for use of equipment, lifting, chemical use and clean-up, heat-exposure, etc.
- Alternate member of the Safety Committee – Key contact for emergency response
- Assist with necessary agencies during natural disasters. (Such as the growing presence of fires.) Maintaining a presence for safety and security of the entire property (non-life-threatening events). This would entail providing information and assistance to outside emergency services about resources available (such as water, fuel, or firefighting equipment), and access to remote areas of the Estate.
Concierge While the Michaels are in Town
- Oversees the set-up and breakdown of events
- May share in the cooking or waiter responsibilities
- Driver for the Michaels family and run any necessary errands
- Prepares and maintains personal recreational equipment, vehicles and watercraft
- Schedules and oversees maintenance/repairs on HVAC, emergency generator, computer and phone systems, water quality and pest control
Construction Project Oversight-Under the guidance of the Estate Manager
- Works with the Estate Manager, The Michaels, winery management, architects, and county agencies to assist with the design of new building projects
- Assist Estate Manager to obtain quotes and costs estimates, compares bids and makes recommendations to management for projects
- Assist Estate Manager with county agencies to obtain the required permits necessary for construction projects and special events
- Assist Estate Manager to evaluate the qualifications, professional capabilities and reputation of architects, general contractors, sub-contractors and service contractors available for bid consideration
- Assist with coordinating work schedules with contractors and subcontractors during construction
- Minimizes downtime to affected systems during construction
- Assist to direct and work with contractors, subcontractors and staff to complete construction projects on time and on budget
Leadership and Employee Management
- Meet on a weekly basis with team
- Coach and mentor employees as necessary
- Approve time cards
- Work with employees to achieve established goals
- Timeliness and attendance is essential to your job. You must be at your job on time and ready to work. (Please see the Employee Handbook for further details.)
- All employees are required to maintain a positive, enthusiastic and thoughtful attitude in order to promote and ensure positive employee relations within their respective departments and within the Company as a whole. All employees are expected to act in a manner that maintains the culture of Peter Michael Winery by making every effort to display the “Company Values”.
Will perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Must be able to walk, bend, stretch, reach, kneel, and lift up to 50 lbs. Must have clean DMV record. Must be able to drive a truck, tractor, flatbed, and golf cart. Must be able to use an assortment of power tools, hand tools, and various gas-powered equipment. Must live on the Estate – Housing will be provided.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to effectively organize time and projects while handling multiple priorities
- Detail-oriented with strong problem-solving skills
- Must be able to complete and maintain regular documentation of projects, invoices, vendor information, etc.
- Strong time management, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive and positive attitude, highly motivated, self-directed with ability to work successfully with minimal daily supervision
- Respect for privacy and ability to maintain a high level of confidentially at all times.
- Possess the understanding, awareness and desire for proper upkeep of an estate property
- At minimum, basic construction knowledge and handyman skills. Journeyman skills a plus
- A high value is placed on a professional demeanor, integrity, honesty and discretion
- Comfortable being on your feet for long periods of time
- Position requires being “on call” with availability for weekends and evenings including holidays
- Ability to work with hand tools and power tools as needed
- Comfortable working in a team-oriented environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
Education and/or Experience: Reading, writing, arithmetic and communication skills equivalent to those obtained by completion of high school. Estate Management experience preferred.
Language and Mathematical Skills: Must speak a minimum of basic Spanish. Must know basic math: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Valid Class C driver’s license, clean DMV record, proof of driver insurance.
As stated in the Peter Michael Winery Employee Handbook, job responsibilities may change at any time during employment. From time to time, you may be asked to work on special projects or to assist with other work important to the operation of the business. As a member of the Peter Michael Winery team, your cooperation, flexibility and willingness to adapt to the changing needs of our business are expected and appreciated.