A family with a 36,000 sf main residence in Greenwich, CT is seeking a professional, experienced, and detail oriented full-time estate manager. The schedule for the position is approximately 5 days per week working 8-10 hours shifts, while on call 24/7 for emergencies. Flexibility with scheduling is required for position. The Estate Manager is to function in a manner that protects the family’s investments in properties; ensures that the residences, yards and all systems are properly maintained in excellent working condition; and provide outstanding personal service to the family. Candidates should be experienced and comfortable working collaboratively in staffed residences with pets (family office, private chef, housekeepers, grounds keepers, gardeners, etc.). Bilingual in Spanish and English is desirable, but not required. Start date is flexible for the right candidate, temporary relocation services available.
- Daily walk through of residence to ensure that all systems are functioning properly (walk through of all residences when on-site routinely/seasonally)
- Provide personal assistance to principals (e.g., provide and / or arrange transportation, shopping and personal errands, etc.)
- Hire, manage, and train domestic employees for residences, supervise the quality of their performance (schedule review/evaluation annually with each employee) and ensure all tasks, workload and quality of work is monitored
- Coordinate staff schedules to ensure adequate coverage at all times based on family’s needs
- Assist domestic staff with projects when necessary (e.g., creating a collaborative/team environment)
- Manage all aspects of large square footage residences, guest houses and outdoor water features
- Manage construction and renovation projects of varying size (e.g., approvals, contract negotiations, liaise with architects, builders, and designers)
- Manage vehicle fleet (e.g., registration, insurance, emissions, washes, vehicle exercise)
- Review, negotiate, and approve invoices for utilities and services provided by vendors on location
- Work with family office to prepare, monitor and manage household budget
- Manage petty cash and maintain records for petty cash; Maintain household credit card reconciliation
- Maintain complete and accurate financial records and records of contractor services performed
- Create and maintain comprehensive household/operational manuals setting priorities for tasks on daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Implement a thorough preventative maintenance program utilizing a CMMS or similar platform
- Maintain file systems including those for household operations, warranty manuals, household equipment
- Ensure appropriate training on household products, materials, and equipment, to include use in accordance with manufacturer's guidelines
- Maintain contacts lists for vendors, contractors, etc.
- Oversee and manage various contractors to ensure the property is neatly and properly maintained (e.g., landscape contractors, exterior lighting, water feature maintenance, irrigation systems, AV/IT systems maintenance, security systems, pest control, window cleaners, etc.)
- Test appliances and home systems (verify security and integrity of properties) including Smart Home technologies. Such testing testing and troubleshooting will include home theatre and AV/IT components through the residences and other structures on all property
- Seasonal opening/closing (e.g., arrange for storage of outdoor furniture at the end of season, oversee home systems adjustments for seasonal utilization, prepare all aspects of household and property for family utilization, etc.)
- Assist with event production for occasional social and private events (e.g., planning and preparation, execution day of event, etc.)
- Highly organized, detail oriented, proactive, excellent time management, efficient and service focused
- Observant to the needs of family and residences to anticipate their needs
- Ability to maintain discretion (confidentiality agreement is required)
- Ability to be discreet with respect for employer’s privacy
- Strong organizational ability to present projects, budgets, lists, bids and quotes to family office through use of technology
- Professional presentation of self and great personality
- Ability to develop and maintain solid working relationships with service providers, contractors and vendors
- Ability to work collaboratively with interior designers and oversee interior design projects
- Ability to easily take direction
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate efficiently and effectively with principals and domestic staff
- Strong technology skills and experienced working with Apple and PC products
- Extensive knowledge of mechanical and smart home system operations (HVAC, Lutron, etc.)
- Positive attitude and ability to manage staff with ease and calm demeanor
- Active and fit; ability to spend long hours on feet, lift more than 50lbs
- Problem Solving: Demonstrates reasoned judgment and discipline, reserving decision making until all information is received.
- Personal Credibility: Demonstrated concern that one be perceived as responsible, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Confidentiality: Understands the sensitivity of access to confidential information and acts appropriately to maintain its confidentiality; releases confidential information only as necessary.
- Fostering Teamwork: Interest, skill, and success in getting groups to work together cooperatively; recognizes and encourages the behaviors that contribute to teamwork.
- Developing Others: Shares information, advice and suggestions to help others to be more successful; provides effective coaching
- Focus: Understands the business needs across all entities, sees the “Big Picture”, but can dive down into the details when needed to ensure goals are met.
- Collaboration: Develops, maintains, and strengthens collaborative relationships inside and outside the organization.
- Self-starter: Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; identifies what needs to be done and doing it before being asked to or required by the situation
- Communication: Listens actively and expresses self clearly in conversations and interactions with others; expresses self clearly in business writing to effectively reach the audience.
- Results Orientation: Prioritizes projects to meet required deadlines. Carefully manages several projects at once, focusing on the desired end result of one’s work.
- Thoroughness: Ensures that work is complete and carefully reviews the accuracy of information in their work.
- Flexibility: Open to different and new ways of doing things; willing to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
- Adaptability: Adaptable to the changing nature of the business.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-10+ years of consistent and recent domestic experience as a full-time estate manager and/or director of residences (minimal consistent families)
- 3-4 references from domestic positions
- Seeking longevity/long term commitment (e.g., at least 3-5+ years commitment)
- Live a close proximity to the family’s main residence in Greenwich, CT or willingness to relocate to the area
- Safe vehicle for transportation
- Ability to complete extensive background checks, motor vehicle checks, drug tests
- COVID-19 vaccination
- Driver’s license and clean driving record
- Comfortable with pets
- Competitive gross annual salary based on experience and qualifications
- Health insurance
- 3 weeks paid time off
- Discretionary annual bonus and raise (performance evaluation required)
Please read the job description carefully and kindly apply with your cover letter, resume, references (email address and phone number), letter(s) of recommendation and professional photo if you feel that you meet all of the requirements. We look forward to hearing from you!